Re: local instruments in /gnome-media/cddb-slave2/cddb-track-editor.c

ons 2004-07-14 klockan 00.44 skrev Gurban M. Tewekgeli:
> >>   Can I add turkmen musical instruments [dutar and
> >> gyjak and yedi bugun and ...]and singing methods
> >> [halk aydym, lale, hudy and ...] in gnome-media
> >> translation?
>
> > Probably depends on what you mean by "add". Which
> > messages are you thinking of, and would you change
> > their meaning?
>
> The messages like "Sonata" and "Euro-Techno" and ...
> these items are not used in our area and change their
> meaning is not a good idea. I think the developers
> can add a code like this:
> ///////////////////////////////
> Glib::ustring
>    local_instruments = _("local_instruments");
> Glib::ustring
>    local_songs = _("local_songs");
>
> if (local_instruments == "local_instruments")
>    local_instruments = "";
> if (local_songs == "local_songs")
>    local_songs = "";
> ///////////////////////////////
>
> with these codes translators can add their strings
> in this module.

You really should discuss this with the gnome-media developers, and/or
submit a bug report or RFE for it at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-media.

The messages you mention are, AFAIK, standard music genre types that
media files can be marked with. My opinion is that it would be *very*
confusing if some of these changed meaning in some translation. The
whole point of these genre types is that they are standardized, and
hence the meaning of them preserved when the media file is copied to
another system.

As an example, if someone marks a media file as "Hard Rock" on an
English computer system, the same information should show up as the
translated equivalent of "Hard Rock" on any other computer system. It
would be very weird, confusing and misleading if "Hard Rock" turned into
the translated equivalent of "Polka" or something like that because of
an accidentally or intentionally misleading translation.

But that's just my opinion, and my opinion is not relevant at all in
this case. You really should discuss this with the gnome-media
developers.