[Fwd: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6]

As Danilo so rightly point out on DDL I should have sent this proposal
here as well.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@ximian.com>
Ximian, Inc.

Fellow GNOMErs,

In order to ensure that Evolution meets the GNOME project's standards of
quality and usability, we'd like to propose that the Evolution client be
included in GNOME 2.8 and not GNOME 2.6.  The whole proposal is as
follows:

Phase 1:
Evolution Data Server 1.0 ships with GNOME 2.6 and Evolution 2.0 Ships
in June.  We've taken some of the constructive criticism to heart on the
issue of the usefulness (and ease of use) of the e-d-s API without
Evolution and Chris Toshok produced a good API extension to obtain lists
of address books, calendars, task lists and the default source for each
of those.  We're also willing to write a capplet that allows the
defaults to be changed if thats deemed necessary and an allowable
breakage of the UI freeze.  We think this is a good idea to further encourage
tie-ins like Ross's contact applet, panel calendar support and the gaim buddy
stuff.

Phase 2:
Evolution Data Server and Evolution 2.2 ships with GNOME 2.8.  Evolution
2.2 would be a bug and polish only release with few new features
(essentially bounties and more ui polish).

We are still really committed to getting Evolution proper in sync with
and part of the GNOME desktop releases.

Comments?

-JP
--