Re: Week start day in locale def?

Åsmund Skjæveland wrote:
> Do locales contain which weekday the week starts on? Americans
> apparently like to start their weeks on Sunday, while Norwegians prefer
> to wait until Monday to start a new week. Is week-numbering covered by
> the locale defs?

It appears that the answer is yes to specifying the start of the week.
As for the week of the year, that is indirectly specified with the date
format.  I think the parameters you are looking for are first_weekday
and d_fmt.   If you want the week of the year as part of the date
format, you use the %U, %V or %W format.  They all give a week number,
but they differ in how they calculate it.  You can find a description of
their use in the strftime man page.

Try this command in your favorite locale:

$ locale -k -c LC_TIME

My output for the C locale under Debian woody was:

LC_TIME
abday="Sun;Mon;Tue;Wed;Thu;Fri;Sat"
day="Sunday;Monday;Tuesday;Wednesday;Thursday;Friday;Saturday"
abmon="Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec"
mon="January;February;March;April;May;June;July;August;September;October;November;December"
am_pm="AM;PM"
d_t_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Y"
d_fmt="%m/%d/%y"
t_fmt="%H:%M:%S"