Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

Hi,

> While it would indeed be nice to have a more powerful locale system
> icu does not seem like the best way to do that right now.  Its just
> too damn large for what is essentially a glib level dependency.

I agree. I think we could add some functions to glib (I think Carlos
already wrote down what we need) and then extract the data like Mono.
Carlos wanted us to just extract the data once and then let the GNOME
translators maintain the data in po files. I am not sure I agree that
this is the right approach. libICU use data from the Common XML locale
Repository supported by Red Hat, Sun, IBM etc (originally the data are
from libICU but that is another thing) and these data are going in Mono,
OpenOffice etc, so it makes sense to make sure that our translation work
goes upstream.

> Nor do I think we should add it to just the proposed capplet.  Do we
> have any notion of which pieces of icu are useful ?  Potentially
> using an approach similar to mono and just extracting that data.

Cheers, Kenneth