Re: Translations, GNOME and KDE

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 11:21, Arafat Medini wrote:

> 2-Reduce the pos to only UI visable strings, no normal user will take a
> look at Debug strings and so speak with coders about which strings to
> include on the pos and which not...

For GTK+, we translate

 A) User visible strings

 B) Error message details that might be displayed in a dialog box.
    ("File not found", etc.)

 C) Property description stirngs, as used in a GUI builder.

But we don't translate debug mesages that indicate a bug in the
program or a broken GTK+ installation.

What I'd really like to do separate out C) from the others so we
had two different domains and .po files for GTK+. That would make the
main GTK+ .po file much, much smaller and easier to translate.

This is not hard that hard (some Makefile gymnastics, mostly), but
we could really use a volunteer to do the work of separating the
strings into the two categories, since that is a lot of work.

Regards,
						Owen