Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

tis 2004-01-06 klockan 01.23 skrev Keld Jřrn Simonsen:
> Is it possible to consider using the locale data from glibc?
> I think there are more languages supported there, and the data is
> sometimes more accurate.

The biggest benefit I see with ICU is that it provides a lot more
localized data, some of it almost essential and that I have long missed
in glibc.

As a simple example, it seems ICU provides a short time without seconds
("HH:MM"), something that glibc doesn't. glibc only provides information
about short time *with* seconds ("HH:MM:SS"), and why it is so still
puzzles me. I don't know how many times, and I would probably die of old
age counting them all by hand, we translators have had to repeatedly
"translate" such simple time display information in GNOME because glibc
didn't provide such a simple thing.