Re: [Fwd: Re: New string in gnome-control-center]

Ar 26/02/2004 am 23:17, ysgrifennodd Jody Goldberg:
> I'll disagree here.  This is a problem that will bite anyone that
> has been using X for a while.  The most common use case I've seen is
> people that have ctrl and caps lock swapped.  They log into their
> shiney new gnome and _poof_ their long standing changes don't work
> anymore.  They are not necessarilly technical, xkb is quite new and
> not well used.

Could you be a bit more specific than "anyone that has been using X for
a while"? Under what circumstances will a .xmodmap file get created?
Am I right in thinking that the problem only arises if a .xmodmap file
exists?

Basically, I would like to know how prevalent the situation is likely to
be, and for which types of users it is likely to occur. If it's a small
proportion of technical users, I'm inclined to reject this change.

In my opinion, iff a reasonably techincal person upgrades to GNOME 2.6
and their xmodmap configuration isn't working, one of the first things
they'll do is check .xsession-errors.

--
Dafydd