Re: New string in gnome-control-center

tor 2004-02-26 klockan 15.59 skrev Dafydd Harries:
> Ar 26/02/2004 am 11:39, ysgrifennodd Sergey V. Udaltsov:
> > > 	At this late stage in the string freeze I think printing this error on
> > > stderr unstranslated should be an option.
> > This message should be USER VISIBLE - stderr of gnome-settings-daemon is
> > not visible.
>
> This is arguable. I would say that it *is* user-visible, it's just much
> *less* user-visible than having it shown in a dialogue. If it is added
> as a non-translatable message to stderr now, it can be made a dialogue
> in GNOME 2.7. I agree it should go in and be translatable eventually,
> but I don't think it's urgent.
>
> > The whole problem was raised when user noticed that his
> > xmodmap files are ignored (because he had xkb enabled and used xmodmap
> > configuration). It took some time for him to realize what was wrong - so
> > we should prevent such situations.
>
> Yes, we should prevent such situations. Can we wait until 2.7 to prevent
> such situations? I suspect the answer is yes. It is late in the string
> freeze and this is far from being a critical bug. If it was so
> important, it should have been fixed sooner (i.e. before the freeze).

My opinion is basically what Dafydd already said.

I haven't been convinced that having this message translated in a GUI
dialog, instead of a stderr error message, is so important as to need
breaking the freeze right now.

It can probably be a non-translated stderr error message for now,
preferrably until you've branched off gnome-2-6 and are no longer bound
by a string freeze in HEAD. Then you can reconsider it again. And making
a bugzilla report on this may help you remember to do it when that time
comes.