Re: Pan: how translate %*.*s

Kaixo!

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 03:36:33PM +0100, dooteo wrote:

>     msgid "Decoded \"%s\" from group \"%*.*s\", \"%s\""

> I found into tr.po file a translation using "%2$s".  What means exactly
> '%*.*s' format? Is '%2$s' right?

It's the first time I see '%*.*s'... but it is for a text string (%s)
anyway, and from context I deduce it is for a string of alphanumeric
chars separated with dots, whitout spaces, like in internet adresses
or newsgroup names.
Now, I don't know what the %*.*s format actually does.

I know the "%<number>$<type>" format however; it is to change the order
of the parameters (Turkish uses it a lot, as the word order in the
phrase is inversed compared to English).
For example:

msgid "To do %s you need first to achieve %s"
msgstr "Once you achieve %2$s you can do %1$s"

if you use that (which is sometimes useful for Basque too, btw) you
need to specify order for *all* parameters (even if some are at
the same position in msgtr than in msgid).
The number is the (1-based) order in the msgid.
You must telle the type (%s, %d, etc) as in the msgid.

I don't know how the reordering mixes with the formatting (eg those
"%4x", "%15s" or the above "%*.*s"),

Happy New Year!

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]