Re: RFC: Source string editing

Christian Rose wrote:
mån 2004-12-06 klockan 16:48 -0500 skrev Adam Weinberger:
[...]

But no team spends more time dealing with strings than the GTP. Each source string is looked at by over 100 people. Noone other than an end user is more likely to notice a spelling or grammar error in a source string than a translator!

[...]

I'd be interested in seeing how many module maintainers would like to give blanket approval to the GTP to edit strings to fix spelling and simple grammar errors. Presence of a README.strings or something to that effect could mean a green-light to the GTP to fix small errors as they crop up.

I'm sure many module maintainers would appreciate help with fixing
spelling errors. I know many of them already are.

Still, you would have to ask each and everyone for permission to fix
these changes, or asking them to add some comment to that affect as you
mention. Different module maintainers may want different policies for
their modules, and not every spelling change is as simple as a simple
typo fix. Terminology changes or changes in style come to mind. Hence,
instructions giving approval need to be explicit on what is and what
isn't allowed, and we need such for each and every module.

It's a very good idea. Feel free to go ahead and ask the module
maintainers. If we could get something like README.strings standardised
that would be a big help in figuring out what string fixes are and
aren't allowed.

Is there a list upon which such a question should be asked? Like an "all module maintainers" list or somesuch?

# Adam

-- Adam Weinberger adamw magnesium net || adamw FreeBSD org adamw vectors cx || adamw gnome org http://www.vectors.cx