Re: The new modules

ons 2004-08-18 klockan 17.44 skrev Daniel Espinosa:
> Why developers-libs has priority; becouse in our case
> most peaple never had used a computer, then we want
> the interface to have high priority, or is the case of
> the developers-libs has most of the strings used by
> the end user?

You need to remember that the modules in 'developer-libs' are core GNOME
libraries. Libraries are common code that is reused by many
applications, and so are many of their messages.

Many of these libraries contain common code (and therefore common
messages) that are used by many of the applications in their user
interface. This is especially true for 'gtk+' and 'libgnomeui'. Granted,
some of these modules only make sense to developers (in particular
'gtk+-properties'), but not all of them.

So if you don't translate 'developer-libs' at all, you'll end up with
many highly visible areas in your otherwise translated desktop where
common messages would be displayed in English only. Examples are
standard button descriptions, file save/open dialogs, about dialogs, and
everything else that many applications share and use these libraries
for.

The reason this section is called 'developer-libs' is because these are
libraries that are considered "safe" for external developers to use when
building their own GNOME applications, and which they therefore both can
and should use for these purposes.
There are some other libraries which are not considered safe to use for
development of external applications, because these libraries are still
being changed very much. Still, some core GNOME applications need to use
these libraries, so they're put in the 'desktop' section.