Re: Yelp string freeze breakage (was: Yelp stuff)

Op di 03-08-2004, om 22:14 schreef Shaun McCance:
> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:43, Christian Rose wrote:
> > tis 2004-08-03 klockan 19.03 skrev Shaun McCance:
> > > (CC me on replies please.  I'm not on gnome-i18n.)
> > >
> > > So Yelp had four strings marked for translation in l10n.xml.in that were
> > > just one-character entities: “ ” ‘ ’.  Most of
> > > the translations continued using entities for these.  But it seems that
> > > when intltool merges the translations in from the po files, it escapes
> > > everything.  So instead of having “ we have &8220;, which is
> > > not at all what's wanted.
I guess there was no way of knowing what these entities meant short of
just asking, which I didn't do...
I tried looking up character 8220 and the others in the character picker
but U+8220 etc. are all Chinese characters.

> > > I've decided to trust that people will have non-braindead editors and
> > > just put the UTF-8 characters in l10n.xml.in instead.  So the string
> > > “ has been replaced by “, etc.  Please, in your translations in
> > > the po files, do not use entities.
> > >
> > > Since intltool doesn't copy comments through for XML, you won't see the
> > > annotations I've put on everything in l10n.xml.in.  For anybody who does
> > > not know what these four strings are, “ and ” are used for quotations in
> > > English, and ‘ and ’ are for quotes inside of quotes.  Translate them to
> > > whatever your language uses for quotations.
I tried copying and pasting these characters from your mail into my
emacs po-editor. This went fine, until the moment I needed to save the
file. Emacs complained it didn't know what encoding to use and tried a
Japanese one, which screwed up the entries.
I tried gedit next which complained about an invalid byte-sequence.

So do you know how to get the correct characters into the po-file?
Thanks

Tino Meinen