Re: Weekly i18n status update

Am Don, 2003-09-25 um 16.15 schrieb Reinout van Schouwen:
> Hi all,
>
> W.r.t. the i18n status. I think it's about time that the help
> files/documentation are also counted in the translation statistics. For
> many languages, the desktop is now 100% translated, which is great, but
> now we have to raise the bar and translate all the docs as well!
>
> After all, what use is a manual if you don't understand what it says...
>
> WDYT?

I'm not in favour of that idea, you have to look at all the languages
that aren't supported or patially supported.
I am translating gnome alone and I know what I am speaking of, this
would be a big problem to handle.
On the other hand, the question is also does gnome help really need
translation now?! Especially that every time we get new apps like
gnopernicus with a string count near to that of gtk+!!!
I bet that to complete translating the whole 2.6 desktop with gnumeric
and abiword I'll need 1 and a half years plus help files I'll maybe need
2 years...
Or I'll simply "die" from translation without seeing my language
(Arabic) on the list of supported languages only becasue of some help
files...
So I am really *FOR NOW* against the idea, it is good to do it when the
desktop REALLY stabilizes...And nearly all the languages do catch-up on
the dekstop front and the "major apps" front.

yours
ARafat Medini
Arabic gnome maintainer (or whatever ou want to call it ;)