Re: Arabic support under gnome 2.4

четвртак, 11. септембар 2003. 16:16:28 CEST — Arafat Medini написа:
> Hi all
>
> I am the maintainer of the Arabic "module" and my question is: Arabic
> support was 100% under gnome 2.2 why isn't this reflected in 2.4 as
> the same files are merged and upgraded ?

You apparently didn't update all the files that could be reused. If I
take a look at

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/ar/desktop/
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.2/ar/desktop/

I can notice that quite a few files *haven't* been merged -- this is a
task that a person with CVS access must do (I don't know if it was
you).

I have wondered myself why didn't anyone update the translations,
because on a quick check, I found out that there were more than 1600
strings that are present in Gnome 2.2 translations, but not in Gnome
2.4 (like File-roller translation was never merged in HEAD, like a
couple of other translations too). Also, some of the modules have
branched in the meantime (most of them using gnome-2-4 branch, but
check the status pages for details), so you must put your translations
on corresponding branch.

Yet, Gnome 2.4 has changed a lot in terms of translatable strings, so
with that you could probably get into the "partially supported" group
of languages (over 50%), but not into the supported group.

There's a bit more work to do to make Gnome 2.4 completely translated
(Gnome 2.2 had around 12 thousand strings, while Gnome 2.4 has around
17 thousand). And probably at least a third of those 12 thousand has
changed in Gnome 2.4, so you'd have to work a bit more.

You can always track your status at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/ar/index.html
(keep an eye on "desktop" and "developer-libs" categories, if you wish
to support official Gnome).

Translation is a continuing process -- there's no stop, as long as the
code changes, translations need to follow too. But, it should be
encouraging now to do so, since strings will not change in Gnome 2.4
releases except in special cases of bugfixes or unintentional omissions
(which will be later fixed). Gnome 2.6 is not expected in another six
months (probably a month or two longer too)

Btw, you're now in a much better position than you were when you
started Gnome 2.2 translation ;-)

Cheers,
Danilo