Re: translating font names

Around 0 o'clock on Sep 4, Guntupalli Karunakar wrote:

>  Should font names like 'Sans', 'Serif' , 'monospace' etc be
> translated?

I think how they're presented in a particular locale should depend on
common usage; I'd like to see these presented to the user in an appropriate
fashion.

However, I'm not sure if that belongs in fontconfig or up in the
toolkit; placing it in the toolkit means that different applications are
likely to present different translations.  This is obviously bad.  Placing
the translations down in fontconfig introduces a huge amount of new
mechanism for the translation of three strings.  That seems like overkill.

One of the features I have planned for fontconfig 2.3 (3.0?) is to extract
all of the font names and tag them with an 3066-style name so that
applications can present "real" font names in the right language; it would
be nice to synchronise that change with some way of localizing the generic
names.

-keith