Translating Gnome into Khmer (km)

Hello,

I am preparing a project to translate Gnome and some basic applications
into Khmer (Cambodia). The idea is to have it done by professional
translators.

The goal is to develop a full system that will replace the systems based
on English Language (used noadays).

I need to have an idea of the size of the translations (in order to know
how much money we need for the project). The size could be in number of
words, translator/months, money or any other form that is available. Any
information in this direction would be most welcome.

------

One of the few problems we have right now is that Khmer (one of the most
complicated indic languages) is not yet supported by Pango. I hope that we
can get this support within the next six months (by including Khmer into
ICU and then modifying it for it to be included into Pango (same as with
other Indic languages). If anybody knows of a better way, please point me
to it.

------

Another problem is that everything has to be coded in Unicode Khmer, and a
standard keyboard has not yet been developed (we do have Khmer Unicode
fonts, though).

-------

A list of what could be considered basic applications would be most welcome.

Javier SOLA

-- Asociación de Usuarios de Internet: www.aui.es --