Re: Two translations for Uzbekistan

Okay, this is all a bit off-topic for this list (gnome-i18n), so just
skip all you who don't care.

петак, 03. октобар 2003. 19:12:27 CEST — Pablo Saratxaga написа:
> AFAIK KDE still has Serbian support in latin only.

Actually, a month or so ago all the translations were hand-converted to
cyrillic, so KDE now has Serbian support in cyrillic only. They
actually decided not to allow them to include both translations in CVS
because of "space limits", and latin will be included only prior to
releases.

So, it makes GNU libc the only culprit. Unfortunately, noone seems
willing to accept the new locales for "Serbia and Montenegro" :-(

> Now, there is nothing against using "uz.po" and "uz@cyrillic.po" in
> Gnome, but then it will use a different logic than Serbian, which
> will lead to uncertainty when another language with the same problem
> will appear. By using the same logic as Serbian currently uses, eg:
> "uz.po" and "uz@Cyrl.po" it is more consistent.

Is it possible to create locale aliases in GNU libc, just like it's
done in XFree86 (apart from making symbolic links, but I'm not sure how
well would that work)?

Btw, are you including updated locales in Mandrake -- they're available
from http://srpski.org/locale :-)

It is already used by many Serbian users, and no problems have been
reported (it contains no regressions as compared to sr_YU, just
improvements ;-).

Cheers,
Danilo