Re: Missing file in libxklavier CVS

> Can't we avoid having two branches and just use HEAD ?  My hope
> would be that libxklavier could filter elements that the server does
No way. Actually, it is possible to filter the elements - but checking
every element is rather expensive operation, so I do not want to do it
(for all models/layouts/variants/options) at the keyboard capplet
startup - it would make it unacceptable long. And offer some elements
which are not on the server - is not really nice gesture. For example, a
lot of Russian users of MSWin like to use RCtrl as a group switcher
(well, not with the standard Windows keyboard switcher). And XFree 4.3
configuration repository allows it. But not XFree 4.2. And if such user
asks for this option - he does not get it (though it is listed as
available). And he is frustrated. Is it OK?

> same file for and xserver that does not include it.  It seems easier
Easier. But the price is possible unpleasant user experience with GNOME.
Suitable?
> to just use HEAD, and avoid branching at all.  That will make
> translation easier.
Sure. No doubts.

> I don't claim it is.  Those are strings that people will see.  For
> 2.6 we will need  translation coverage on par with the rest of the
> core gnome desktop.
I do not argue. I am just concerned about the possible implications.

> This is an unrelated point.  I suspect we won't.  The only other
> option would be to notice it is missing and disable the layout ui
> entirely as if xkb was missing.
:) Nice idea. Actually, we could consider 4.2 as X server with missing
"proper" xkb (by "proper" I see existing xfree86.xml and support for
multiple layouts). Way to go?:)

> It's fine by me.  Put the fine in the gswitch-common module and mark
> it for translation.  I'll contact the release and translation folk
> to get it on the lists.
Stop. This is separate module. And it has to remain as such.
libgswitchit has nothing to do with it. Could you pleas just look at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gswitchit/xfree86_xkb_xml/

> You could set up a cron job on your machine to update it.
> or add some wget magic to the dist process to update it.
> Neither should be terribly taxing.
Well, this is the secondary question - comparing to the one that
xfree86.xml from HEAD is a SUPERset of options available in XFree 4.2 (I
do not even mention other servers).

Sergey