Re: Updating po files on make dist

fre 2003-05-23 klockan 15.50 skrev Sven Neumann:
> > I can add, as a lowly translator, that I have resigned to doing just a
> > few dozen strings at a time out of fear of cvs collisions. And as my
> > grip on the cvs tools are less than complete, my recourse whenever this
> > happens is generally to move my local po file, check out the cvs version
> > again and redo all translations that were lost. This is not a whole lot
> > of fun when it happens, and leads to much more frequent check-ins than
> > would really be necessary. If a way could be found that is not painful
> > for developers, and that will remove these collisions, that would be
> > great.
>
> Why don't you just run intltool-update on the po-file you worked on
> and check it in? Unless someone really worked on the translations in
> the file, this should resolve the conflict properly.

Even the slightest change in the source (the removal or addition of one
single line of code) will change the reference line numbers in all the
po files. As such, it's practically impossible to inspect a po file and
from a cvs diff tell whether there really was a change in the
translation (a real syntax bug fix by the developer or some such) or
just line number changes, due to the massive number of line number
changes normally introduced. So normally you will have no idea and just
guess that the commit was just the result of make dist and nothing else,
and hence you will have no idea if you resolved the situation properly.