Re: (no subject)

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 07:09, Kevin Vandersloot wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 20:58, Glynn Foster wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > > OK, so let's change what distcheck does. I'm tired of waiting for all
> > > the po update stuff to run when I distcheck anyhow - it takes
> > > forever. ;-)
> >
> > Yeah, I have to say I'm in agreement here - having to commit everything
> > except the po dir sounds like a real pain for maintainers, and I don't
> > want to sound selfish about it. It's hard enough to get the maintainers
> > doing regular releases, and I'd sure like it if there wasn't another
> > hurdle in the way.
>
> The way I do it is copy the source directory and make dist on the copy
> (of course commit on the original). That way the translation changes
> don't get commited. It's a little pain if dist fails and you have to
> make changes, but it's not too bad (and it saves a lot of time commiting
> po files when you are on a 56K dialup connection).

I handle it in a slightly different (and better) way:

1) Copy the po/ dir as po-orig/ with the command 'cp -a po po-orig'.
2) Do your dist/distcheck, fixing, releasing and all.
3) rm -fr po; mv po-orig po
4) cvs tag

Looks like 'make dist' should really not bother about updating the po
files, especially when the translators themselves don't need it. So, I
guess, the best option is to let 'make dist' do the update in dist
directory without touching the original.

Regards,
-Naba