Re: [Usability]Re: nautilus string change

Hello Alexander,

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> The whole max file size is breaking down, because we're getting
> thumbnailers for e.g. animations that can easily be very large, and still
> reasonably fast to thumbnail. This change was a quick fix to this to allow
> larger animations to be thumbnailed.

So I take it this feature is subject to a re-design?

> I don't agree that small/medium/large makes the preference easier to
> understand. It just makes it harder to understand exactly what it does,
> and causes more work for those that want to change it.

Perhaps there's a solution that would satisfy both: use a slider ranging
from small to large, and display the actual size in MB's next to it.

> However, In order to make this pref make some sort of sense and allow a
> pretty sane default for images, maybe we should make the max-size pref
> only affect actual images, and not stuff with external thumbnailers...

Sounds okay to me, but I do think the user shouldn't be bothered with
differences between local and remote files. I don't know how difficult it
would be to implement but IMO, ideally Nautilus should decide whether to
thumbnail or not based on the average throughput to the location where the
image is stored...

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout@cs.vu.nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778