Re: GOK internationalization

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 11:29, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Release team, is this change (to private API) something
> we can make before 2.4, in view of the (positive) internationalization
> impact?

Sounds fine with me- the API freeze is mostly meant to apply to public
APIs. And the sooner, the better, of course, so that you can work with
the i18n team to find any possible issues (and QA team to find
instabilities :)

> * on the other hand, if R-T thinks localization of GOK is desirable for
> 2.4, we would consider using
>    the "classic" XML intltool-merge technique for the generic keyboards.
>
> * if someone in gnome-i18n is willing to tweak intltool for create split
> xml files instead of merged ones,
>   we'd like to wait for this change if it's likely to happen in time for
> our 2.4 release.

>From a release team perspective, either of these should be fine- i18n is
definitely desirable, bordering on 'mandatory'. [I'm speaking only for
myself, of course, but I can't see why anyone would disagree with me-
hopefully if someone on r-t does have an issue they'll raise it quickly
so that you guys can get on with your implementation. :)

Thanks for raising this, Bill-
Luis