Re: DECtalk driver and french language

Hi Nath:

Adding another language to gnopernicus' speech is something we would
like to do. I don't see any significant issues with gnome-speech, though
there are a couple of issues with multi-language use in gnopernicus.

I am cc-ing gnome-i18n@gnome.org because whatever we do in this area
needs to be coordinated with the existing GNOME internationalization
framework. We don't want to come up with something totally nonstandard.

I forsee the need to do four things in order to make sensible use of
multi-language speech in gnopernicus:

(1) gnome-speech needs to standardize its "LANG" property so that the
languages which can be spoken by a given "Speaker" can be determined. In
gnome-speech 0.2 I believe that, although the 'parameters' are all
numeric values, they may be enumerations
(GNOME_Speech_Parameter.enumerated == true) and in such cases you can
call GNOME_Speech_Speaker_getParameterValueDescription() to get a string
containing, for instance, "en_UK" or "fr".

(2) gnopernicus needs to select an appropriate Speaker based on the LANG
currently being used. This may be difficult since currently gnopernicus
associated speakers with different types of spoken output; probably
making this work for multi-language cases will require a revision of the
way gnopernicus chooses its voices.

(3) gnopernicus must, in order to do this, pay attention not only to its
own current locale (for the 'default' LANG value), but listen for the
<lang> text attribute and change speakers accordingly. In practice we
don't have too many examples of this yet, but we expect to have more
language tagging in the future. I think we get <lang> tags in our
AccessibleText already if the text comes from a pango layout that uses
something other than the application's default locale, but this hasn't
been tested yet.

(4) eventually we'll need to provide a means for gnopernicus to
determine the locale/lang of the applications which it's interacting
with; we think we know how to do this now (via window manager properties
_WM_LANG) but it's not implemented yet.

If what you want to do is change the speaker used for the whole desktop
then you can do this with no problem, and I think that fairly
straightforward changes to gnopernicus would allow you to select a
Speaker appropriate to the locale that gnopernicus is running in. But if
different text sources are in different languages, gnopernicus will need
to start looking at language tags in its text stream and selecting
speakers accordingly.

I think that it may be worth extending the gnome-speech parameter API
slightly to make language-capability queries a little easier.

Since neither Marc nor I are bilingual (though I can almost understand a
little en Franc,ais), perhaps you should be the pioneer here :-) Would
you be interested in tracking this with Marc and the
internationalization folks within Gnome?

best regards,

Bill

regards,

Bill