Re: String changes in gnome-games.

mån 2003-06-02 klockan 12.11 skrev Callum McKenzie:
> Just a quick note: a new game has been added to gnome-games which will
> bring in a pile of new strings to be translated. I haven't had a chance to
> go over it personally and I'm not sure how i18n friendly some of the
> strings are. There are one of two bad strings I know of. Ignore them for
> now and I'll repair them in the next week or two.

One thing to think of is that it usually helps translators if messages
are standardized as much as possible, so that they all use a common
style as much as possible. This can be done also on message endings,
i.e. one can standardize in whether messages have trailing spaces or
not. Examples:

1) msgid "Cards left: "
2) msgid "Cards left:"

The most common approach in GNOME and gnome-games seems to be 2), i.e.
to not use such trailing spaces in messages when not absolutely needed.
I don't know if that's the sistuation for the blackjack messages, but it
could be something to think of. There's currently quite a few messages
with trailing spaces.

#: blackjack/src/blackjack.cpp:349
msgid "5.00"

This one could probably be passed through a *printf-based approach
rather than being explicitly marked for translation as a message string.
That helps the translators since there's less messages to translate, and
the localization wrt to decimal sign will be automatically working.

This one won't work:

option_str = bj_hand_get_best_option_string ();
    gmessage = g_strdup_printf (_("The best option is to %s"),
option_str);

gchar *
bj_hand_get_best_option_string ()
{
  gchar *option_str;
  gint bestOption;
  bestOption = strategy->getBestOption (player,
                                        dealer->cards[0].value (),
                                        numHands);
  switch (bestOption) {
  case KEY_S : option_str = g_strdup (_("stand"));
    break;
  case KEY_H : option_str = g_strdup (_("hit"));
    break;
  case KEY_D : option_str = g_strdup (_("double down"));
    break;
  case KEY_P : option_str = g_strdup (_("split"));
    break;
  case KEY_R : option_str = g_strdup (_("surrender"));
  }
  return option_str;
}

Perhaps this was the problematic message that you referred to. In any
case, the sentence needs to be translated as a whole, and the messages
must be marked for translation as a whole.

#: blackjack/src/player.cpp:317
msgid "Surr."

Does this one really need to be abbreviated?

Thanks very much for the notice, btw.