RE: high gnopernicus string count

> From: Christian Rose [mailto:menthos@gnome.org]
> Is there some doc that
> explains what
> > should and shouldn't be translated in a 'correct' GNOME
> app? Seems like
> > that would be helpful to anyone who wanted to review gnopernicus.
>
> I don't really think there is; it's mostly a judgement thing.
> On one end
> of things we have highly visible UI stuff, and in the other
> end we have
> console debug messages. While people not necessarily always agree on
> where to draw the line on this scale (I myself think that many error
> messages are perfectly fine to translate, as long as they are at least
> somewhat useful also for the user), I think that most people
> agree that
> stuff that are only there to help developers in debugging the
> application (and don't really help the user) shouldn't be marked for
> translation at all.

Yes, debug messages are clearly for the developer, and the developers code
in english. It actually makes it more difficult for the developer if they
are told about debug messages that they don't recognise, because they have
been translated.

Remember, we shouldn't expect the users to be running our stuff from the
command-line anyway.

Murray Cumming
murrayc@usa.net
www.murrayc.com