Re: About translating documents (.xml/.sgml) in GNOME

Sander,

>>Paragraph seems ok. Just get rid of any eventual <footnotes>, etc. I'd
>>change them into [1..n], since you have to keep the placement and then
>>have the footnote separate in the next entry. Of course there are other
>>parts to be considered, such as <entry>, etc. which should be separate
>>entries as well. Same goes for index terms and titles. If you keep the
>>order, then you should have enough context. Another easy solution would
>>be to use the closest index-term and a fixed url to provide (in the
>>comments to the entry) a link to the english HTML page. This should
>>provide enough context. :-)
>>

>If sentences within paragraph can be re-oreder, then footnote ordering can
>change. This is even true in case of work ardering in general if you made
>two footnote refs from the same sentence. Index terms are another candidate
>for automatic lookup and fill.

That's ok, as long as you move them where they belong.

You can have:
	<para>blah[1] blah blah[2] more blah[3]</para>
and translate it into:
	<para>babbel[1] babbel babbel babbel[3] babbel[2] babbel</para>

As long as you move the "footnote-placement-tags" where they belong, this really isn't a problem. I believe this is easier to handle than having the footnotes right there. The next three entries will simply be [1], [2], [3], in that order! :-)

And yes, automatic lookup and fill is always good, not just for any msgid's/str's, but also for every such tag within a paragraph.

"Automation if possible is always good, since I'm always lazy."

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Dr. Bernd R. Groh <bgroh@redhat.com>