Re: ChangeLog encodings (was Re: The first commit on behalf of the Icelandic team)

Kaixo!

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:15:22PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

> The problem with using this on ChangeLogs is that the various
> translators who have written in the ChangeLog might all have done so
> with their own encoding, so that the file currently is a mix of
> different encodings (a horrible mess in other words). Thus, it's not
> trivial to decide on a from-encoding in the above command... in the end,
> at least some translator's name will probably end up looking garbled,
> even after the conversion to UTF-8, since the file was mixed-encoding to
> begin with.
>
> I really don't know what's the best solution here. Perhaps someone else
> has an idea?

You mean there are currently some ChangeLog files with a mix of encodings?
If you tell me which ones, I could look at them and do the needed conversions.

Someone adding new lines should not do any conversion at all, just add
in utf-8.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature