Re: string addition

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 04:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:09:00AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > If you're asking for release-team approval then you really should give
> > us more information. We usually like to hear at least:
> > 1. What does it do?
>
> Adds ISO-8859-2 to the encodings you can put in the Character Coding
> menu.
>
> > 2. What's the advantage of the change?
>
> You can run an ISO-8859-2 terminal session when your locale is not
> ISO-8859-2.
>
> > 3. Why would it be bad to wait for 2.4?
>
> People in central Europe would not be able to ssh to their older
> Linux/UNIX systems or view documents in that encoding.
>
> The other ISO-8859-* encodings are all currently present so central
> European users might feel discriminated against.
>
> Havoc

Thanks. OK, that sounds useful and harmless.

If this is all it takes to support different encodings then I guess it
would be nice if some system allowed discovery of supported encodings so
that applications didn't have to hard-code lists of encodings. I have no
idea what I am talking about.

--
Murray Cumming
murray@usa.net