Re: Gnome Jabber translations

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:03, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> [Offtopic, maybe]
>
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 08:36:45AM +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
> > I am in the process of moving it to Gnome's CVS.  I hope to have it in
> > the next few weeks.  I have been granted use of Gnome's CVS, but am just
> > dealing with the politics of moving it from Sourceforge. :)
>
> Hey Martyn.

Hi :)

> I thought gnme-jabber was supossed to be mostly dead software, and your
> effort was going to gossip too. Has this changed?

I don't quite know what to do really. It has more advanced Jabber
features than most (if not all) other clients available under Gnome and
people have said that I should try and get it into Gnome 2.6 and not
stop development.

I maintain it as far as bug fixes go and really use it as a platform to
learn the Jabber protocol for things that might be implemented in
Gossip.

I have not been as committed to Gossip as I initially said I would or
would have liked, and that is about to change.  I will soon release a
new version of GJ (with a lot of fixes) and then concentrate on Gossip.

Originally I thought that the objectives of Gossip and Gnome Jabber were
the same, but I have come to realise that they are not.  Gossip focuses
on being the best Gnome IM _CLIENT_, Gnome Jabber didn't really have any
objective to begin with and I think it has ended up as to be the best
Jabber client for Gnome.  The problem with this is, the general public
don't want a Jabber client, they want an IM client and GJ does not have
such a high usability and that is where Gossips strengths are.

My primary objective is that I am involved in the final Gnome IM
implementation and desktop integration whatever that may be :)

--
Regards,
Martyn