Re: [Open Office] Re: Hello -- OOo Integration

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 20:30, Michael Meeks wrote:

> > > 	The copyright ownership is not important to me; however contributions
> > > have to be 'joint' assigned under the JCA to Sun for use in their
> > > propriatory StarOffice product in order to get up-stream.
> >
> > oops.
> > All dreams shattered for me unless some one else can interpret any thing
> > positive here.
>
> 	You dream of assigning copyright to the FSF ?

No,  seeing a free uniformly localised Tamil desktop. Well more social
implications and all that is probably not software related and
futuristic. Hence dream.
An important human aspect very relavant to software now is begginning to
overlap with the dream though - forking of the little l10n team that has
assembled so far under free software.

> - strange indeed,

Yes my dreams and ideas are strange to some in certain environments :-)
Lets concentrate on the real software related issues.

>  however
> you can still do that, it's no problem.

cool, we are back to the very real copyrights issues.

> However - you also need to sign
> a joint copyright assignment on those strings for Sun - I guess if
> you're assigning copyright to the FSF - they might need to sign the JCA

As you might have gathered this is all waaay outside my territory.
If there are any issues here I hope the GTP maintainers will comment on
this.
To recap, my inquiry is to see a consistently localised Gnome-Office,
integrated OOo-Gnome environment. Although this is not a neccessity if
it can be worked out Gnome-ta atleast should have a considerable input
of high quality volunteers.
Also long term mainenance issues will be easy.

One point to bear in mind is that living without all this is not
impossible.
Any questions please ask?

>  no reason to be scared of the JCA though
I agree. I was worried. Probably concerned is a better term.

Best wishes,

Ramanan