Re: Translation statistics for Gnome 2.4 desktop and developerplatform

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:26, Danilo Segan wrote:
> Base Gnome desktop and Gnome developer platform has grown by around 40%
> (from ~11k strings to ~15k) since Gnome 2.2, and that, by itself (in my
> opinion), is the main reason for the "drop" in number of teams with
> closer to done translations.

Urk. I knew that gnopernicus was large, but I didn't realize that the
other projects all added up so much. Clearly we should have understood
this earlier. :/

> I don't have the resources to even try to track the stats all the way
> back to the 2.2 release time (I'm on dial-up connection) -- if that's
> what you meant by "change over time". Still I may provide a "change
> over time" in the future.

I meant merely in the future- i.e., a weekly report would be much more
useful if it were 'language X is up by Y% this week, on average all
languages are up/down foo% this week', etc.

> > If I'm correct- does this indicate we need a longer string freeze in
> > 2.6 or what?
>
> Perhaps that might be a good solution.
>
> OTOH, if a final list of modules to be included in Gnome 2.6 is
> announced sooner, translators could sort out their priorities earlier.
>
> At the same time, another important reason is the amount of change
> between Gnome 2.2 and Gnome 2.4 (see above). So, if Gnome 2.6 would
> stay sufficiently similar to Gnome 2.4 (in terms of strings, of
> course), there would be no need for a longer string freeze.

It's hard to know exactly what will happen in GNOME 2.6, I guess.
Certainly realizing the impact we've had on the translation teams in
this release will make us more cautious about adding things in the
future, or so I'd hope.

> > Anyway, thanks for the general stats, Danilo- I'd definitely love to
> > see them more often, and probably it wouldn't hurt to see them go to
> > desktop-devel-list as well. More groups should do as the
> > accessibility team has been doing and posting bugs/stats to the main
> > list.
> >

> I can continue with these kinds of statistics, and I can also include a
> "changed from last update" data. It seems that others are interested in
> this too, so the next update will have those "movers of the week" (nah,
> I don't consider making it that fancy, just the change of percentage
> would do ;-)

Average percentage change, like I mentioned above, would also be good.

> Also, this will go weekly to desktop-devel and gnome-i18n lists. Should
> I include anybode else? Does the release team care about this, or would
> they care more for, like, a montly report?

We're all very avid desktop-devel readers. Anything that goes there,
we'll see. :)

[By the way- is there any way to see something like:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/top.html
per-module? It might help if when considering adding a module it was
easy to know 'oh, many languages have already translated this' or 'crap,
no one has translated this at all'.]

Luis