Re: Newbie questions

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:01:35PM +0100 or thereabouts, mick mccauley wrote:

> Does anyone know of a handy way to download all LANG.po (e.g. ga.po) and pot
> files for a particular release?

For a release of a package, or for a release of an entire -- well,
release? I mean, are you interested in all the po files for gnome-core,
for example, or for all of the desktop modules at once?

For a tarball, they're all in there already in the po directory. There's
fifty-odd in the gnome-applets-2.3.6 tarball. I just peeked.

> Am I correct in syaing that a pot file will only exist if there are no po
> files at all for a particular module?

I'm not sure. The pot file is generated by running the command
'intltool-update --pot' in the po directory of a module you have
checked out from CVS. It tends to create a file called .pot so
you don't see it. Whether it then goes out in the tarball as well,
I am not sure. The big status tables for the translations provide
"ready-made" pot files for unstarted files in a locale, which are
updated regularly.

> Is there support for the input of national language characters in Gnome or
> KDE?
> I am interested in being aple to type the following chars within an editor
> like VIM or GEdit: á, é, í, ó, ú?

I am using vim to send this. I see the five vowels all with acute
accents on them. Let's see. á, é, í, ó, ú. Looks right to me.

(I did control-K then the letter then hit the ' key and got the
result. I think this is in :help digraphs. I only started using
vim recently -- in part because it let me create these letters --
so I am not very knowledgeable about it.)

I know that gedit displays such characters beautifully. I don't
know how you create them in it though, short of using the character
applet, which seems to be a long way around.

Telsa