Re: Newbie questions

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 12:01, mick mccauley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of a handy way to download all LANG.po (e.g. ga.po) and pot
> files for a particular release?

It sounds like you're interested in the Irish translation!
I use the following script to download all the Irish .po files from the
status pages:

#!/bin/bash

if [ "x$1" != "x" ]; then
        version=$1;
else
        echo "must specify version";
        exit 1;
fi

URL="http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-$version/PO/";
language="ga"
wget_opts="-N -nd -np -nr --limit-rate=100k"

wget $wget_opts -P "gnome-$version" -r -l1 -A".$language.po,.pot" $URL

It's called like this, to download all the 2.4 .po files:

./get-po 2.4

> Am I correct in syaing that a pot file will only exist if there are no po
> files at all for a particular module?

That's not the case, as far as I am aware.

> Is there support for the input of national language characters in Gnome or
> KDE?
> I am interested in being aple to type the following chars within an editor
> like VIM or GEdit: á, é, í, ó, ú?

Yes, try adding the Keyboard Layout Switcher applet to your Gnome panel.
If you don't have an Irish map, I can supply one. You might also be able
to use an International English map, if it exists on your system.
Once these are setup, you can enter these characters using AltGr+<vowel>
AltGr + a = á
AltGr + shift + a = Á

and so on.

David