Re: New document required

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

>    (If anyone has a quick macro or script for "find msgids with
>    _ marks which have no _ marks in the corresponding msgstr" as
>    someone recently asked, please speak up!)

For this job you can use msgfmt:

      --check-accelerators[=CHAR]  check presence of keyboard accelerators for
                                menu items

>  * po files have their own quirks:
>
>      - don't put extra " marks in. msgfmt doesn't like it.

\"Escape\" them.

>      - don't put extra [ marks followed by an alphabetical character
>      in. I don't quite understand this, but msgfmt doesn't like it.

Works for me:

echo -e 'msgid "hello"\nmsgstr "h[allo"' | msgfmt - && echo $?
0

Will you please provide an example?

>      - You need to count up \ns and put the right number in. If you
>      don't, msgfmt doesn't like it.

Yes ;)  Or no ;)  Only the occurence at the beginning or the end of the
strings is significant.

>      - You need to put them in the right places too, or.. (guess what)

Yes, but see above.

>  * You may also have to dive into (n)gettext arcana if yours is a
>    language which wants different words for different forms of
>    plurals. You don't need everyone on the team to do this, but you
>    do need at least one (and ideally more to avoid bottlenecks) person
>    to be able to handle this, and they should be the one with CVS
>    access.

Bruno Haible often helps within a day or so:

ke@tux:~> LANG=C gettext --help | grep bug | sed 's/@/ at /'
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext at gnu.org>.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,