Re: New document required

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 00:22, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:41:16PM +0100 or thereabouts, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> > I have made some notes regarding translation, and so has Telsa. We
> > haven't gotten round to putting them into a form we can present to
> > translators. Telsa has rightly been saying that we should make a note of
> > these things while they are still fresh in our memories!
>
> Here you go. I was half-way through writing this when you replied.

Wow! This (and Dafydd's stuff) is nice to see when wading through my
mail this morning. Thanks. :)

[...]
>  * Something we lack currently: someone (or a place) who
>    knows things like the appropriate localisation of "The quick
>    brown fox jumps.." (gnome-control-center, libgnomeui) and the
>    letter frequency order (gok) for your language. We're at the
>    stage of thinking of writing to Welsh-language printers to ask :)
>    If you find such a person, treasure them. Of course, you can
>    always run a competition for the best pangram for your language
>    instead. :)

Strangely enough, some of these pangrams have copyright restrictions
attached. :-(

Markus Kuhn pulled together some examples a few some years ago (although
it doesn't help the Welsh team):

        http://www.w3.org/2001/06/utf-8-test/quickbrown.html

I don't know of others apart from these. For letter frequencies, the
only link I have in my collection is:

        http://www.bckelk.uklinux.net/words/etaoin.html

(and it includes Welsh this time). It is starting to disturb me that I
have this kind of stuff just lying around, but it turned out to be
useful this time. :-|

Cheers,
Malcolm