Re: gnome-vfs ngettext reversal (string freeze break?)

> Not to mention that ngettext() support can be made optional. Look at
> gnome-games for example:
>
> ==============================
> /* Define a sensible alternative to ngettext if we don't have it. Note that
>  * this is only sensible in the context of gtali. */
> #ifndef HAVE_NGETTEXT
> #define ngettext(one,lots,n) gettext(lots)
> #endif
> ==============================

What happens if a source tarball contains po files created on a system
having ngettext (thus those files contain plural messages) and someone
on a system with a gettext not supporting ngettext tries to compile this
tarball? Will the plural messages be correctly ignored by this gettext
(and I'm talking about any gettext on any unix platform supported by
gnome)? Will your workaround work at all if the 'lots' string doesn't
appear anywhere else in the program (in my mind, messages which are
using ngettext and those which aren't are marked differently in the po
file)?

These are the kind of questions which need an answer to make people
comfortable with using ngettext without breaking compilation on older
platforms.

Christophe