Re: gnome-vfs ngettext reversal (string freeze break?)

ons 2003-08-13 klockan 14.41 skrev Alexander Larsson:
> We recently added usage of ngettext to gnome-vfs, but now we recognize
> that this was a bit premature, since ngettext support is not as widely
> supported yet (see bug 116236).

That bug report is as I see it mostly about making the use of ngettext()
easier. There's not much to do about compatibility -- we can't wait
indefinately for each and every platform to support ngettext(), because
that simply isn't ever going to happen. The most widely used platforms,
the ones where development actually moves forward in this area, have
already supported it for quite some time, and we already use it in the
desktop (gnome-games and gnopernicus comes to mind).

> However, reverting this change probably results in some sort of string
> freeze break, since a plural translation becomes a normal translation.
> Is this ok?

I see no need for reverting the use of ngettext in gnome-vfs, at least
not without specific examples of why it would be an absolute necessity.