Re: Gnome Localization in Nepali

sön 2003-08-03 klockan 11.58 skrev pawan@nplinux.org:
> i would like to contribute some of my time to localization of Gnome into
> Nepali. Language i have done a bit of translations of gnomelibs and
> nautilaus and gedit it worked fine and i would like to contiue the work.

Excellent! You're *most* welcome!

> i would like to know if anyone is currently working on localization of
> gnome in Nepali. If so i would like to join the team or if not i request
> if anyone is interested in joing for translation of gnome into nepali.

No, there isn't anyone else currently working on Nepali [ne], at least
that that we know of. I take it that you're volunteering as team
coordinator for a Nepali team? In that case, please send me your full
name so that I can add Nepali and your name to
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html.

If you already have some translations done or almost done, please also
send them to me so that I can add them to CVS. Then they'll show up on
our status pages
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/) and you'll
automatically get a "ne" page to help you track your work. When you send
me the files, please remember to make sure they are encoded in UTF-8
first and that they don't contain errors (check with "msgfmt -cv
ne.po"). Please also gzip the files before attaching them to the mail.
When you have contributed a few translations this way, we can also look
into having a CVS account arranged for you.

Our current work is directed towards GNOME 2.4 that will be released in
September (on http://www.gnome.org/start/2.3/ you can see the release
schedule). It would be very nice to at least have some partial support
for Nepali in this release. In order to get GNOME support, what needs to
be translated is the core, which consists of the modules in the
"developer-libs" and "desktop" groups on the status pages (if you click
on a language on the status pages you can see these groups and the
modules in them, and also get their pot files).

There are a lot of modules in developer-libs and desktop, but I'll try
to sum the modules up below that I think are most important:

        gtk+                    (toolkit, very largish, but many
        			messages are developer-oriented and
        			can safely be ignored to begin with,
        			but some few messages here are very
        			visible to the end user)
        libgnomeui              (many user-visible menus and stuff)
        gnome-mime-data         (user-visible file type desc. etc)
        gnome-vfs               (file size formatting etc)
        yelp                    (help browser)
        gedit                   (text editor)
        nautilus                (file manager, also very largish,
        			but not all messages here are
        			immediately visible to the end
        			user, even though many are)
        gnome-desktop
        gnome-panel
        gnome-session
        gnome-control-center
        gdm2                    (login manager)
        eog                     (image viewer)
        libbonoboui
        ...and then the rest.

So, to sum things up, what we need from you right now is:
1) Your full name
2) Any translations that you have already done
Please send them to me as soon as you can (the earlier they land in CVS
the better)

Other than that, just go ahead and translate. If you have any questions,
don't hesitate to ask them on the #i18n IRC channel on irc.gnome.org or
on this mailing list.
Once again, welcome!