Re: unifying copyright entries (was: [RFC] General terminology change)

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:57:08AM +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Another aspect are the copyright entries:
> Some developery use
> (C) <year> <name> or
> Copyright (C) <name> <year>,
> some others
> <name> (C) <year>
> and so on.
> What's the "official" (or at least the most used) expression?
> Additionally, we should replace the (C) by a copyright character
> wherever possible (e.g. UTF-8, ISO-8859-X charsets).

I heard a while ago that you should always write the word Copyright in full,
e.g.

Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation

That's also the most-used form I've seen.

I seem to recall that (C) holds no legal meaning, the copyright symbol
however does. Or something like that. It was a long time ago.

Gareth