Re: Estimete of Work : Indian Languages marathi

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:14:12 +0530
jitendra <jitendras@vsnl.com> wrote:

> I have a strong desire to get the benefits of gnu/linux to the
> masses in India and am choosing Marathi as a first language. Some
> work in Hindi is underway at NCST.
> I have formed a group of about 20 enthusiasts who know little
> programming but know good marathi and are ready to translate.
> I ahave a group of 10 hackers (engg students )taking up a project on
> localising linux as academic assignment.
> I need files properly arranged and some experienced person to guide
> me how I should go about.I need to stimate the work in terms of
> number of words, pages etc. I will be able to ensure quality as
> prominent linguists as well User-interface design experts are there
> to support.And we are totally open to suggestions and I have seen
> the the gnu site on user interface design.

Assuming that you would start work for Gnome 2.0 ( and since gnome 1.4
doesnt support indian languages ), you can get the original POT's from
, or the cvs .
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/unstable/status.shtml

> My first problem is data entry in Devnagari. I have yet to get a
> step-by-step tutorial on that. Anyone can identify a person of
> indian origin who may get in touch with me and guide me.
> Then I have thought it as a priority in translating GNOME.I propose
> to keeep the translations ready and hope indian language data-entry
> will be available and I may use unicode or some other standard and
> corresponding editor to put the strings in. Can someone tell me if
> this is right. Jitendra

For Gnome you need to use Unicode ( UTF8 ) only . For data entry you
can use a gtk2.0 based app like testtext or Yudit ( www.yudit.org ),
which has support for opentype fonts. Will give you a more detailed
step-by-step tutorial on how to about all this in couple of days.

Regards,
Karunakar