Estimete of Work : Indian Languages marathi

I have a strong desire to get the benefits of gnu/linux to the masses in
India and am choosing Marathi as a first language. Some work in Hindi is
underway at NCST.
I have formed a group of about 20 enthusiasts who know little
programming but know good marathi and are ready to translate.
I ahave a group of 10 hackers (engg students )taking up a project on
localising linux as academic assignment.
I need files properly arranged and some experienced person to guide me
how I should go about.I need to stimate the work in terms of number of
words, pages etc. I will be able to ensure quality as prominent
linguists as well User-interface design experts are there to support.And
we are totally open to suggestions and I have seen the the gnu site on
user interface design.
My first problem is data entry in Devnagari. I have yet to get a
step-by-step tutorial on that. Anyone can identify a person of indian
origin who may get in touch with me and guide me.
Then I have thought it as a priority in translating GNOME.I propose to
keeep the translations ready and hope indian language data-entry will be
available and I may use unicode or some other standard and corresponding
editor to put the strings in. Can someone tell me if this is right.
Jitendra