Re: Translation team for Serbian (sr)?

Kaixo!

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 07:56:00PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> We appear to have some Serbian (sr) translations in cvs, contributed by
> Mandrake.

I just did the cvs committing, not the translating itself.

> However, there are some problems with this.
>
> * There is no Serbian team listed on
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html -- in other words,
> there is no official contact point or Serbian coordinator. This is a

Tomislav Jankovic is the person that could probably be listed as the
contact point, I think.

> * There are both "sp" and "sr" translations in cvs, and both types of
> files claim that they are Serbian translations. According to
> http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html, "sr" is the
> official language code for Serbian, and a language code of "sp" doesn't
> exist. I assume that the addition of "sp" is an error, and that I can
> safely remove all references to the "sp" translations. Is this correct?

In fact the problem is that iso639 only defines *language* codes, it completly
ignores any difference in writting systems.

So far I know of two languages that commonly use different wrtting systems:
- Chinese
- Serbian

For Chinese, the distinction can be done by using the country code in addition
to the language code; but for Serbian it is more difficult, as both cyrillic
and latin can be used in the same geographical area.

I used 'sp' for Serbian written in cyrillic; I took that idea from the
XFree86 locale.alias file some years ago.

Maybe a better way to make the distinction between the two cases could
be found; if some standard way to do it is agreed upon, then of course
all sp.po (and/or sr.po) would be renamed.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature