Re: 0.93 String Freeze
- From: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>
- To: Christian Rose <menthos menthos com>
- Cc: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk>,gnome-i18n gnome org, gnomemeeting-list gnome org,Simos Xenitellis <simos hellug gr>,"Christopher R. Gabriel" <cgabriel cgabriel org>,Katsumi Saito <Katsumi jo1upk ymt prug or jp>,Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas gnome org>, Felipe Mello <femello mac com>,Özgür Aþ <thelegbra hotmail com>
- Subject: Re: 0.93 String Freeze
- Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:47:10 +0200
On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 12:42:56AM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > > > Translations should be in UTF-8 format but the po files of the following
> > > > locales currently aren't:
> > > > da, el, gl, it, ja, no, pt_BR, tr
> > >
> > > And the locales below are still not using UTF-8. I'm also cc:-ing those authors directly now:
> > > da, el, it, ja, no, pt_BR, tr
> > Why do they need to be in utf8?
> I think we'd like gnomemeeting to work on systems with older glibc's and
> non-glibc systems too. These systems usually cannot do character set
> recoding on the fly and hence the po files have to be in the character set
> we specify, which is UTF-8. I thought this had been explained umpteen
> times on email@example.com.
Well, we have discussed it, and I think the conclusion was that there
was no need to require utf-8. At least this was the conclusion on the
Gnu translation project list. There is no problem for older systems.
> > utf8 is a pain in the a**, at least to me..
> What's the problem? Please be more specific. I've had no trouble ever when
> using iconv or msgconv.
utf-8 is just one more source of errors that it would be nice to be
without. I have explained this a couple of times, also on this list.
] [Thread Prev