Re: Problem with gtranslator and utf-8 (slovak and azeri translations)

Kaixo!

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:41:56AM +0100, Marcel Telka wrote:

> #. *  if the gtranslator user wants to it so. It could be that the \xb7
> character
> #: src/zpmd.h:38
> msgid ""
> msgstr ""
>
> ... and we have two empty msgids ... :-(
>
> So, where is the problem?

The problem is hardcoding the value \xb7, that is bad.
\xb7 is an illegal value for all multibyte encodings.

There are two solutions (and only two solutions) to that problem:

- use utf-8 in the sources, encode the middle point in utf-8 and force the
  use of utf-8 for all the po files of gtranslator
- use ascii only in the sources, change the \xb7 to some ascii only value
  (like "." or "#" or "_" or whatever)

The charset encoding used in msgid and msgstr fields for a po files MUST be
the same.
There are only two ways to achieve that: never use any non-ascii char
in the msgid; or use exclusively utf-8 (the only encoding suitable for all
languages)

> I'm using gettext-0.10.38 and intltool-0.12.

With old versions that problem didn't show up, as no checking was done on
po files at all.
But now it cannot be ignored any longer.

xmms is another program that has such problem, making all utf-8, japanese,
korean and chinese translations fail.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga