Re: UTF-8 in GNOME2 po files

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 11:55:21AM +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> le lun 28-01-2002 à 11:44, Dick Porter a écrit :
> > That is, those that are happy with the status quo (presumably English
> > speakers) can carry on using their preferred systems neither gaining nor
> > losing functionality.  Everyone else gets to upgrade for new features.

I decided not to reply to Christian's well-reasoned response because I
had nothing new to add, but I'm certainly not going to let this stand.

> Typically detestable US-centric behavior which can get nothing but
> discomfort from foreign users, and get lots of people reluctant to
> install Gnome2.

If you had actually read what I wrote, rather than just jumped to
conclusions, you would have seen that I proposed a solution that works
for _everyone_ while not requiring a gratuitous upgrade for people that
dont care about charset support, and still allowing translators to pick
the best charset that works for them.

As it happens, we can support both schemes simultaneously for the best of
all worlds: have translators use UTF8 if thats convenient for them (and
their language) and have the code check for support for automatic charset
conversions.

> 	Xav

Welcome to my junk filters,

- Dick