Re: Two questions

Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:

>>>Hi, about Japanese team policy, .po is translated in
>>>
>>>GNOME 1.4 - ja_JP.eucJP (legacy locale)
>>>GNOME 2.0 - ja_JP.UTF-8
>>>
>>For Gnome 1.4.x, converting everything to UTF8 would break a lot of
>>things.

Converting po files to utf-8 won't break anything unless you are using an
old version of glibc. Everything should work the same way as before. The
only thing which affect strings which you get from gettext is your system
locale.

> How it goes for Gnome 2.0 is unknown to me; anyone knows more on
>>this matter?
>>

> We must use UTF-8 for all .po files before GNOME 2.0 release.

No, you a wrong. There is no need to convert translations to UTF-8. Whatever
  charset a .mo file is in, glibc automatically converts it to locale
encoding, or, if the app say say to gettext so -- in UTF-8. All apps using
Gtk+2.0 must do that, i.e. call

bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");

so that they get all text in UTF-8. Coverting string on the way from .mo
file to app is a work of glibc or gettext, which do not change from Gnome 1
to Gnome 2 in any way.

--
Gediminas