occitan

hi
I and my friends want to release a Niçart(occitan language) translation of the gnome environment.
Occitan is a family of latin languages spoken in the biggest part of the south of France in the last centuries (some English words come from them).
Todays it still survives and is even kind of encouraged by the european laws for "regional languages".
I love linux and I love gnome but I'm no developper, so I don't really understand all the requirements for that. Actually I can translate a list of words or sentencies, but how to find them?
I don't find any tutorial, any help is welcome.
Thank you, and bravo for your great work!