Re: [Fwd: Re: correction]

mån 2002-02-25 klockan 19.58 skrev Gregory Leblanc:

> > > Updated. Thanks.
> >
> > Er, no, you see, it _has_ to be written in lowercase.
> >
> > On related note, I believe the same goes for:
> >
> >   català (Catalan),
> >   dansk (Danish),
> >   español (Spanish),
> >   français (French),
> >   magyar (Hungarian),
> >   norsk (Norwegian),
> >   polski (Polish),
> >   română (Romanian),
> >   suomi (Finnish),
> >   svenska (Swedish).
> >
> > My source is the same thing on www.debian.org, the footer. Those were
> > written by the translators themselves, so unless they made a mistake that
> > would be the correct way to write the language name natively.
>
> How strange.  The GNOME translators wrote this page also.  I've
> forwarded the request to them.

In Swedish, language names are always written in all lowercase. So if
you put the Swedish translation of the language name "Swedish" in a
sentence or in a dictionary, it should be "svenska".

The common exception is of course if the word is the first one in a
sentence. In that case it should like most other words be written with a
capital first letter.

In this case, both ways can probably be used since it's not sentences
where normal grammar rules apply, but just a list of languages. I think
the capital S in "Svenska" in this case was chosen for consistency.

I suspect this can also be the case for many of the other languages
mentioned.