Re: non-utf8 po files breaking the build

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:56:04AM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

> > > We are not forcing UTF-8 on anyone. The only thing that has been decided
> > > is that all po files should be in UTF-8 format *in* *CVS* so that we
> > > have less problems for the people trying to make tarballs once a week
> > > and also for the people who are trying to keep the tree buildable at all
> > > times.
> >
> > Well, we have decided to keep the po files in the CVS in all charsets, two times.
> > We have never decided to only have it in UTF-8.
>
> Please re-read this very thread then. I thought we have already made it
> pretty clear that we have decided on keeping all GNOME 2.x translations
> in UTF-8 in CVS. How more official do you want the decision?

I reread some messages. I actually thought that we decided some 4 months
ago to keep the multi-charset way of doing things. But I could not
really find any definitive statements. I remember the recent discussion,
but then only you and Yanko being all for it, and Kjartan proposing
that we make some way to let translators deliver .po-files in cvs
in the charset of their choice.

> Please remember that things like this don't get decided by popular vote,
> and the decisions certainly don't get invalidated by one persons
> reluctant protests on having to commit things in UTF-8, no matter how
> loud the complaints/rants may be.

Oh well, but just having two loud ranting persons advocating UTF-8
should not make a decision either:-)

I proposed a way that could accomodate everybody, I think,
namely to extract and convert to utf-8 when you need the po-files,
eg for statistics. I ahve not seen any comments on that.

Kind regards
keld