Re: difficulties with Gnome Translation

On Saturday 27 April 2002 18:51, Christian Rose wrote:
> > - Translated PO files are inconsistent places in the module tree,
> > checking in changes is not an easy job.
>
> How is this? I'm not aware of any module that doesn't use
> module_name/po/ for storing po files, except gnome-i18n but that's a
> very special case anyway.

Well in KDE we put all the PO files for our language in one place in the CVS
tree .. that is in the kde-i18n/ar/messages .. that really ease the life of
the traslation team maintainer .. all I have to do to check the files in is
to do a 'cvs commit' while I am in the kde-i18n/ar .. while with Gnome
approch, I have to either commit each file in seperate, or to have a tree
structure that is semilar to the Gnome CVS tree structure, that would sparce
the PO files :-) take note that we have our own CVS .. and we commit our
changes to the Gnome CVS priodly ..

> > everyones effort, it seems that KDE did a great job i18n wise and that
> > lead to have around 50 languages shiped with the latest KDE 3 release..
>
> If I count the locales listed on the current GNOME unstable status
> pages, I get the number 61 if I counted correctly.

Well the languages that got translated enough to be shiped is 50+ languages ..
while I doubt that this number of langauges will be with Gnome .. I think
that the translation in Gnome is taken care by developers :-) developers like
it the best way and that is not the easy way :-) I think that it can be
simplified ..

Think about what I have to do every commit to Gnome:
1) grab the latest POT files by wget
2) msgmerge with our current PO files
3) check them in to the different module/po one by one ..

I can not use the module.ar.po ( that I can get my wget too) which is the
translation file for the module in Arabic becuase it will be outdated as all
the translation occure in our CVS rather than Gnome CVS ..

now the latest POT for each module have different names each time ..
module.HEAD.pot today could be module.NEW_TAG.pot tomorrow .. I guess that
discluding the TAG from the file name would be better, as it will be known
that the "status" will always include the latest, without the need to
refering to which tag it is from ..
but again I am not from this world (Gnome World) so I may not know the reasons
why things are this way .. but I am trying to overcome these difficulties ..

--
Yours,
Isam Bayazidi